Seasons‎ > ‎Vets 2011-2012‎ > ‎Match Stats‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎2011-2012 Season‎ > ‎

Away to Rayleigh (ECFA Cup)

The Vets travelled to Rayleigh, Essex to play in the Essex Vets Saturday Cup. Quite a journey and with bad traffic effecting the route it was important that people gave themselves plenty of time to get there for the meet of 1pm for a kick off of 2pm. Just before the kick off three players had not arrived and H pulled his hamstring during the warm up but fortunately Paul & Taju turned up just in time so Manager Barry Smith could start with virtually the team he intended to start with in the first place.

On a park pitch with very sunny conditions and plenty of the public having a nose we got off to a fast start and a good through ball from Kevin Whitworth saw Martin Treadway go through and slot the ball home with his left foot to give us an early lead. We looked the better team but Rayleigh were asking a few questions and when we gave their forward too much room on the left hand side he obliged by putting a half volley from distance past Gary into the right sided roof of the net. Unexpected but probably what we deserved for being sloppy and missing one or two chances to go further in front.

Darren Foss and Martin Treadway then combined well for Martin to finish to put us 2-1 up. Again we became sloppy and the same forward who had scored their first goal went down like a sack of potatoes in the area for only the referee to award a dubious penalty which again the same forward obliged by putting a left footed shot past Gary to make it 2-2 at half time. We did not panic at half time and knew we just had to stop being so sloppy and we would probably go onto win. Kevin Whitworth made a run and chipped a ball over the defence for Goal Machine Martin Treadway to latch onto and despatch past the keeper with his left foot to make it 3-2. And we went further ahead when great work from Darren and Martin saw Martin head the ball home to make it 4-2. Martin Treadway then turned provider to steer a great free kick right onto Darren`s foot at the far post to make it 5-2. We then let a sloppy goal in at the death but went on to win the game quite comfortably to put us in the next round against a first division side on 12th November 2011.

Overall not bad, Gary Doodes made a couple of very good saves but needs to stop losing his temper with the referees !!! Bill Howard played his first full game at right back and did very well and was very pleased to part with his tenner after the game. Hilary, Sean, and Trevor performed well at the back with Sean getting injured halfway through the second half. The midfield battled well and our two forwards were always a threat. So six wins out of six not bad with some quality players still to come back but we have got to keep it going. Result 5 - 3

Man of the Match: Martin Treadway. Report Kevin Whitworth


 Gary Doodes (Capt) , Bill Howard, Sean Windeatt, Hilary Francis, Trevor Burton, Darren Foss, Kevin Whitworth, Steve Hunter, Paul Obinwko, Martin Treadway, Taju Odeyji, Subs: Tony Graves, Barry Smith.