Seasons‎ > ‎Vets 2011-2012‎ > ‎Match Stats‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎2011-2012 Season‎ > ‎

Away to Met Police NE Reserves

After last weeks unconvincing win at Horminster the Vets travelled to one of the pre season favourites Met Police Essex. We knew a much improved performance would be required if we were to take anything from this game.

Player availability and injury resulted in three changes to last week’s starting line up. But with a strong squad of players this season this was an opportunity for some. We started with a 4-4-2 formation and were playing against the slope and the wind on an exposed pitch. Met Police enjoyed the majority of the possession in the opening 15 minutes passing the ball around the middle of the park but rarely threatening the final third. A good move down the left hand side between H and Marlon gave a counter attacking opportunity to Martin Treadway on 20 minutes and gave a warning to the opposition that despite their possession we were very much in the game. Met police continued in the first half but without creating a clear chance. We were holding our shape well and defending from the front. Both Paul and Marlon were working hard on their defensive duties against the slope with Kevin and Martyn chasing down every ball in the centre. 0-0 at half time and the team talk was focused on ‘more of the same’ in the second half and the importance of being positive with the slope and wind advantage.

Suhail replaced the hard working Kevin Whitworth who deserved an extra ten minute break for his first league game for the Vets. The second half started well for the vets as we began to dominate. We were creating chances from both flanks and on another day could have been a couple of goals up inside 60 minutes. Eventually our domination began to tell and some quick ball resulted in a clear penalty when Taju was chopped down in the six yard box. Martin Treadway converted a confident penalty on 65 minutes. It was no less than we deserved. The team continued to work hard and the defence was looking solid against a lively Met Police attack. Our second goal was created by a great move down the right side with Kevin Whitworth crossing of Taju to chip home just from six yards.

Met Police pushed up a gear and coupled with a little panic from ourselves started to work back into the game. They finally pulled a goal back from a corner when an unmarked player headed home. Potentially a foul on our ‘keeper but at 2-1 with 15 minutes to go we had to remain focused. Hard work from the whole team meant we held out for an impressive win. I think we all agree it wasn’t our best football but it was a huge improvement on last week and everyone played their part in our continued 100% start to the season. Result 2 1.

Report Sean Windeatt 


Gary Doodes, Sean Windeatt , Danny Brown, Hilary Frances, Halil Hassan , Kevin Whitworth, Martyn Tribe, Paul Obinwko, Marlon Wedderburn, Martin Treadway, Taju Oyedeji Subs Suhail,Butt Dorian West, Bill Howard