Seasons‎ > ‎Vets 2011-2012‎ > ‎Match Stats‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎2011-2012 Season‎ > ‎

Home to Cricketers Horndon

The Vets were at home to Cricketers Horndon a team that had beaten us at their ground 1-0 so we knew we would have to play well to get three points. On the smaller pitch at Britannia and with a gusting wind and a sticky pitch we kicked off and we look the better more determined side and good pressure lead to Martin Treadway showing good skill to put us 1-0 up, then the worse thing that could happen came when Cricketers had a man sent off and were reduced to ten men and for some reason they tried harder and we seemed to take our foot off the gas and started to struggle and this lead to a oppostion header going into our box Kevin Whitworth got caught in two minds how to deal with this and this lead to the opposition striker going down in the box for a penalty, maybe Kevin should have done better and he was duly punished when Cricketers put the penalty past Gary who so nearly saved it but just failed 1-1. The game was now becoming pretty even and it was end to end stuff and a good run by Darren Foss and a left footed cross intended for Taju saw the opposition defender heading past his own goalkeeper to make it 2-1 to us and that’s how it stayed to half time.

We knew we would have to keep it tight in the second half and make use of the extra man.

Again it was end to end stuff and Gary Doodes was putting his body on line for the cause and made one very good tip over save. Taju was upended in the box which looked a stone wall penalty but the referee ignored our claims. We fought hard and defended well and later in the half good pressure saw Suhail have a golden chance he did everything right but lifted the ball over the bar when it looked easier to score. With little time left a high ball going towards our box was headed by Hilary backwards right onto the foot of an opposition player who finished well with a volley past Gary. 2-2. We really needed all 3 points so we pushed forward looking for the winner, our opposition looked happy with a point.

With about a minute left we were awarded a free kick, as we all shuffled into the box looking for the ball Martyn Tribe who was having a great game launched a right foot cross high into the area which seemed too hard but as the keeper came out to claim it a gusting wind just took it over him and into the net! What a goal, what a relief 3-2 with just seconds to go!!! And that how it ended a very valuable 3 points and a lesson we must learn is that when the opposition has only 10 men we need to make the most of this and punish the opposition. Man of the Match: Martyn Tribe who was outstanding. Report Kevin Whitworth. 

Team Gary Doodes Capt) , Sean Windeatt, H, Kevin Whitworth, Martyn Tribe, Darren Foss, Hilary Francis, Paul Obwinko, Tony Graves, T, Martin Treadway, Subs Steve Hunter, Roger Gayle, Trevor Burton, Suhail Butt, Bill Howard, Barry Smith