Seasons‎ > ‎Vets 2011-2012‎ > ‎Match Stats‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎2011-2012 Season‎ > ‎

Home to West Essex Reserves

It was back to league action for the Vets with a home game against West Essex. After last week’s cup exit
it was important to get straight back to winning ways. West Essex had given us a scare in the away fixture
so we knew we were in for a tough game.
More enforced changes to the starting eleven as the injury list continues grow...but the Vets are used
to changes as we’ve not managed field the same eleven for two consecutive games this season. Sean
Windeatt moved into the centre of defence with the versatile Trevor Burton fresh from his two games
as a forward moving to right back. Both teams made a cagey start to the game and the tempo was
painfully slow. Neither side managing a serious attempt on goal inside the first 15 minutes. We began
to find another gear and some neat football created the first chance which forced a fine save from the
West Essex ‘keeper. We were staring to dominate the game and playing some fine possession football.
A patient build up from the back followed by a great ball inside fell for Martin Treadway to smash
the ball inside the right upright to make it 1-0. This was Martin’s 300th goal for Hale End. A fantastic
achievement from a great servant to the club. The Vets certainly look forward to Martin adding to that
milestone and his addition to the side this season has given us a greater attacking edge. We continued to
dominate proceedings and goals number two and three were added in the space of a minute. A fantastic
cross from Martin from the left hand side found Tony Graves steaming down the right and with great
composure fired a fierce shot giving the ‘keeper no chance. The third happened straight from the kickoff
when Tony hassled the defender and rounded the ‘keeper for a cool finish to make it 3-0. HT
It was the quietest half time team talk of the season which was a positive sign and makes a change from
the usual moaning! The second half started much the same as the first. Gone was our free flowing football
and this allowed West Essex a 15 minute period of dominance. Our defence was playing well and we held
our shape during this period of pressure. A great save from Gary from a header followed by another brave
dive at the feet of Essex forward resulted in an injury and he was replaced by Paul Walters for the final
20 minutes. After a poor second half at least we finished strongly added two goals at the end of the game.
Good work by Taju who unselfishly squared the ball for Trevor Burton to slot home. A few minutes
later Taju got himself on the score sheet poking home from inside the box 5-0
A very satisfactory result against potentially tricky opposition. For periods of this game we finally found
an extra gear. We were taught a footballing lesson last week. This week it was our turn. Imagine what we
would be like if we could play that well for 90 minutes. FT 5-0. Report Sean Windeatt
Gary Doodes(Capt),Sean Windeatt, Trevor Burton, Halil Hassan, Kevin Whitworth, Roger Gayle,
Darren Foss, Martin Treadway, Tony Graves, Barry Smith Subs, Bill Howard, Paul Walters, Martin
Tribe, Taju Oyedeji,